Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hopkinton Lake, Hopkinton NH



Today I paddled Hopkinton Lake. With it's great scenery and abundant wildlife, and the fact that gas powered motor boats are not allowed in this lake, makes for good paddling. Although the noise from Routes 202 & 89 can be heard, the lake is big enough that you can find solitude if you look for it. Although I encountered several canoes, I still found areas where no one was around.







Since the lake is rather large (roughly 500 acres) and I didn't have a lot of time, I headed for the quieter north east section. This area is accessed by taking a very scenic, narrow channel which is full of downed trees you must navigate around. It felt like I was traveling in a river from Jurassic Park!









You can access the lake by taking exit 5 on Route 89 (Routes 202/9). Take the first right after you cross Hopkinton Lake. The is a boat launch sign. There is a cement boat launch and parking, but no other facilities.



This was a great day and I look forward to going back there soon. I recommend this place highly!

No comments: