Saturday, September 20, 2008

Grafton Pond, Grafton, NH

If there is a paddling heaven, then Grafton Pond is certainly in the running for that title. This may be one of the prettiest places to paddle your kayak. There are many nooks and crannies to explore . The lake is approximately 235 acres and over 28 islands. Some of the islands are decent size while others are barely more than a small spit of land with a tree.

Although the AMC calls this a small pond, I did not see anyone else for two hours. After that, it seemed like a kayak club showed up with about 14 kayaks.
Grafton Pond is a natural body of water that has been enlarged by a dam at one end. The water is very clean and the lake is deep in some spots (up to 65 feet) and also has some very shallow areas where you might scape the bottom of your kayak.
There is a dirt boat launch and a port-a potty but no other facilities are available. The majority of the lake is owned by The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forrest. This means that the lake is undeveloped, with only a couple of discrete houses not to far from the boat launch.

It was not easy getting to this pond. This may owe to the sparsity of people I saw. If it wasn't for my GPS, I don't think I ever would have found it. In fact, even with the GPS, I had to stop once for directions. The best that I can say is get to 4A in Grafton and follow until to Grafton Pond Road. This road will bring you (eventually) to the pond and boat ramp.

So far, this has been my absolute favorite place to paddle. Even though it is over 1 hour from my house, I will go back here again.


I give this place 5 paddles out of 5.( I am going to start to rate the places I go from now on.) If you go to this place, you will not be disappointed. Remember, there are no facilities, nor any stores, bring food and and drinks. Happy paddling!




No comments: