Saturday, May 2, 2009

McDaniels Marsh, Springfield, NH





Today I kayaked in McDaniels Marsh. This was one of the most remote places I have paddled. It is approximately 500+ acres, but absolutely no house on the water. This is a very healthy ecosystem. There were many different types of birds, several duck species, and 5 beaver lodges that I could find. The water depth appeared to average around 2 feet in most places. I think that in the Summer, this place would be very weedy to paddle.

I was lucky enough to spy a couple of beavers outside one of the lodges. The male was not pleased with me being there. He kept trying to scare me away by slapping his tail against the water.

The Marsh does have a gravel ramp, allowing the kayaks to launch with minimal fuss. There is also a small parking area with no facilities. The only draw back I noticed is when I put the kayak on the car, I had to scrape off several leeches from the bottom of the kayak. Note to self: Do not fall in the marsh.

No comments: